By KEVIN BRADYThe death of a Kentucky drug dealer is a grim reminder of the dangers of illicit drug use.
Shawn A. Bynum, 52, was a fixture at a strip club in Louisville, Kentucky.
The owner of the club, Jimmy McNair, who had been a longtime friend of Bynums life, told the Associated Press that Bynams death was a “tragedy.”
In 2010, McNair died of an apparent drug overdose at his home in Louisville.
Bymum was arrested in connection with his death and died in jail.
McNair had worked as a bartender at the nightclub and his wife said they had a close relationship.
The Associated Press reported that Bymums death is “the first known drug overdose death in the United States involving an overdose of a synthetic opioid.”
The Associated States Department of Justice and Kentucky’s attorney general’s office said they are working on the case, but said it is not yet clear if Bynomys death was an accident or an intentional overdose.
Bynum’s death sparked a wave of criticism of the government’s crackdown on illegal drugs and its failure to prevent other overdoses.
A federal judge in Kentucky last month ordered a review of the state’s drug laws and the treatment of drug abusers in a case that is also the subject of an ongoing federal lawsuit.
In court documents, Kentucky Attorney General Andy Beshear said the state had “no legal or moral obligation” to treat Bynamms death as an accident and has failed to comply with court orders in the case.
The federal government, meanwhile, has accused Kentucky of not complying with court rulings and not adequately protecting addicts.